December 19, 2011

All I want for Christmas is you.

It struck me today that Christmas is less than a week away.
I wore shorts yesterday. There's a palm tree outside my window. It doesn't feel like Christmas.
Spending Thanksgiving as an ex-pat brought about some unexpected emotions. I'm going to hazard a guess that Christmas away from home will be a whole different animal. I'm not sure there's any way to really prepare myself for how I'll feel.

Here's a quick list of things I already miss:

1. our tree.

2. snow. 
Only because it makes Christmas feel like Christmas. I don't really miss winter.


3. being with my family.
I love you guys. I seriously miss you. And the food. Mostly you...(but the food....)

This could go on for awhile, 
but I don't want to give you the wrong impression (or make myself too homesick)- 
there is plenty I am looking forward to about Christmas in Israel...one thing in particular tops this list:

1. Beth is visiting!!
maybe we'll go to Bethlehem... hahah. I'm so serious, though.

I have known Beth since we were wee. As one of my oldest friends, her visit to Israel will literally be a piece of home here in my arms. I cannot wait. She arrives on Christmas day, and will be here for over a week. I could not be more excited about showing off my new world (and my budding Hebrew skills) and sharing all of these new things that I love with someone I love who has known me about as long as anyone. 
Who could ask for a more wonderful Christmas gift? 

So, this holiday will be strange for me- homesick, a little sad, and devoid of the traditions that have made Christmas my favorite time of the year. But, as with every experience I've had here so far, I'm certain that experiencing Christmas in Israel will create memories for which I'll always be grateful. 
So, here we go. I can do this. I'll be ok. 

2 comments:

Bridget said...

giiiirl. christmas away will be hard. but while we have dry, cracked, winter skin and steve's snowblowing for the umpteenth time, and gracie poops in the house because she refuses to go out in the snow... then you won't feel so bad, will ya??

yup said...

we were pretty damn cute back in the day.